Students enrolled in an online program from the Newhouse School are charged tuition on a per-credit-hour basis. The current rate of tuition for the 2022-2023 academic year is $1,964 per credit hour. The M.S. in Communications program is 33 credits, making the total degree cost $64,812. The M.S. in Communications Management program is 36 credits, making the total degree cost $70,704.
The estimated tuition costs are reevaluated each July. Students are responsible for their own textbooks, software, travel and housing costs, as well as a possible additional immersion fee that varies for each experience. Payment arrangements are required at the time of registration each term, and payment plans are available.
Financing Your Degree
There are many options to consider as you evaluate how to finance your graduate education. Available resources may include tuition assistance from your employer, scholarships and student loan programs. Online students may be eligible to apply for the following types of financial assistance:
Your employer’s personnel or human resources division may offer tuition assistance programs to help their employees develop the leadership and technical skills needed to make a greater impact on the organization.
Students are potentially eligible to receive up to $20,500 in Direct Unsubsidized Loans per academic year, regardless of personal or spousal income.
Federal Direct PLUS:
Graduate students may apply for the Graduate PLUS Loan in addition to the unsubsidized loan. This credit-based loan can be used to cover tuition and fees as well as funding for living expenses up to the total cost of attendance determined by Syracuse University.
Students who require additional assistance may apply for educational loans through private lenders.
Scholarships may be available to students who meet a variety of criteria. It is best to reach out to your admissions counselor to learn more about what scholarships you may qualify for.
Tuition is billed on a schedule. You may pay your bill online, but please note that a third-party vendor fee may apply. In addition to tuition, your bill also may include course fees. Immersion fees vary for each immersion based on the location and activities. The fee is determined prior to course registration.
The Office of the Bursar can provide further information regarding late fees, financial deadlines, billing and payment plan options, and more.
As you consider how to finance your graduate school, we encourage you to explore support from your employer, as many companies offer employee assistance for higher education. Many employers are eager to help employees develop the leadership and technical skills needed to make a greater impact on their organization, and some provide significant resources toward higher education. If you are requesting support for the M.S. in Communications, here is a guide you can provide to your employer (PDF).
Additionally, here are a few important tips to keep in mind before calling a meeting:
1. Research Your Company’s Policies Check with your manager or the human resources department to discuss funding opportunities available to you. If your company does not have an established tuition assistance policy, you may need to petition for funding.
2. Know the Program You should assume your company does not know anything about the Newhouse School or its online programs, so it is important to do your research. Be sure you understand:
The cost of the program
The time commitment
Specific courses that would be helpful or a specialization you intend to pursue
3. Show the Benefits It is important to make clear to your employer exactly how an online program from the Newhouse School will be beneficial for your company. Research short- and long-term goals you could help reach with your newfound skills, and make a list of specific ways in which your education would make you more valuable to the organization.
4. Read the Fine Print Often, companies that offer tuition assistance also expect something in return. This may be an agreement about how long you will continue to work for your company upon completion of the program or progress reports as you complete your coursework. You may also be required to maintain a minimum GPA.
5. Negotiate Your Terms While some employers are willing to fund an employee’s full education, others will offer partial support. Be sure to enter conversations knowing the amount of funding necessary for you to attend a program and be open to negotiating if needed.
6. Drive Action Let your employer know that they can speak with an admissions counselor at +1-844-797-2666 or email email@example.com if they have questions about one of the programs or the application process.
Take the Next Step
Fill out the form below, and an admissions counselor will reach out to help answer any more questions you might have.
Help us get to know you better by filling out the brief form below. A member of our community will be in touch soon to connect and we will email you with information about the program.