How to Become a Licensed Clinical Social Worker
What Is an LCSW?
Licensed Clinical Social Worker Education
5 Steps to Become a Licensed Clinical Social Worker
- Complete your bachelor’s and master’s degree in social work or a related field as allowed by your state’s requirements.
- Complete all LCSW requirements as outlined by your state, which may include a period of hands-on work and supervised practice.
- Apply for your license through the appropriate agency.
- Take and pass the licensing exam.
What Does a Licensed Clinical Social Worker Do?
- Perform clinical assessments of patients.
- Create, implement treatment plans and assess progress.
- Consult with other professionals in the care and treatment of patients.
- Maintain detailed records as required by law.
- Respond to crisis situations.
- Provide psychotherapy services.