Guidance for Reporting and Writing About Racism
Mitigating Personal Bias
Identifying the Story
Building Trust in the Community
Writing in Active vs. Passive Voice
Using the Word “Racist”
- Race-Related Coverage, AP Style Guide: guidance from the Associated Press on when to mention a subject’s race, word choice for terms like “racist” and “racism,” and more.
- Conscious Style Guide: collection of style guides focusing on race, disability, age and more.
- NABJ Style Guide: guidance from the National Association of Black Journalists on racial identifiers and other terms that are of specific relevance to their community.
- Best Practices for Journalists Reporting on Police Killings of Black and Brown People, NABJ: includes discussions from image sourcing to highlighting the humanity of Black victims of police violence.
- “Decades of Failure,” Columbia Journalism Review: newsroom-specific diversity data that includes statistics on leadership.
- “How Diverse Are US Newsrooms?,” American Society of News Editors: interactive website with ASNE survey data. Visualizations show gender and race breakdowns against parity with each newsroom’s respective market.