Citizen Journalism and Political Protests
What Is a Citizen Journalist?
What makes someone a citizen journalist?
What Are the Rights of the Press at Protests?
Building Relationships with Law Enforcement
- Communicate with local police departments when sending reporters to cover a rally.
- Discuss expectations or safety concerns.
- Encourage reporters to build rapport with community members.
- Work candidly with law enforcement officers.
- Build trust with sources like officers, public defenders and elected officials.
- Review ethical standards with editors before sharing information.
- Observe physical boundaries set by police.
- Comply with legal requirements of a permit to assemble.
- Contribute story ideas or social media to news outlets.