Certified Security by Design: Securing Devices in the IoT Era
Lessons from the Evolution of Computer Security
Rethinking Design for IoT
Certified Security by Design in Action
1. Analysis Phase
2. Planning Phase
- The owner uses the thermostat’s manual controls to change the temperature.
- The owner uses the thermostat’s network functionality—such as a control app—to change the temperature remotely.
- The utility company uses the thermostat’s network functionality, with the owner’s authorization, to change the temperature remotely.
3. Implementation Phase
- Ensure the server can identify the owner, usually through a username and password.
- Ensure the thermostat verifies that the instructions are coming from the correct server.
- Ensure the server verifies the identity of the utility company.
- Ensure the server verifies that the utility company has the correct and relevant permissions to access the server.
- Ensure the server verifies that the utility company’s permissions were correctly received from the owner of the thermostat.
- Ensure that no other entity is given access to the thermostat.